This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 1, the first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where We decide and We write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
Man, being a social and selfish animal tends to do something in which he feels is beneficial to him emotionally, economically and socially .Blogging is no different and has its share of pros and cons. A few of the benefits that we get by blogging are :
- Quenching your emotional thirst to express a thing or two : Most of us, in the circumstances we live in, don’t get the opportunity to express things we feel worthy of expressing due to various reasons . Blogging helps the person to express things of concern, relieving him emotionally and quenches his thirst of expression. This paves the way for good emotional intelligence.
- Sense of pride of being called a “Blogger” : There is a sense of pride being called a Blogger or an Author. Who doesn’t want to be stroked ( strictly in psychological terms ) when there is a great sense of pride when our posts are read by others and acknowledged in the form of comments. There’s a saying “ There is a book in every person” and a blog lets it out.
- Blogs are learning resources : Blogs are great sources of information. We get to read a lot of reviews and experiences of fellow bloggers who belong to our peer group in this otherwise small world. As strange as it may sound, my experience in blog search was more rewarding when compared to the normal web search. e-learning is said to be the next big thing and blogs are not far. People who are proficient in a particular field tend to give some useful tips to their readers , in a way they are educating their readers.So,blogs are great sources of information.
- Great tool for advertising : A blog is an informal site.Having a blog is the in-thing for any enterprise in the present world. I remember reading an article in a leading National daily that blogs might be the next big thing in getting employment offers and getting performance appraisals. Days are not far when blogs become the visage of an aspirant to a prospective employer. Like an interview, a blog ( a video blog in some cases ) would help the employer look for the suitable incumbent.
- Offer a piece of revenue : This is one thing that most bloggers look for . Revenue from blogs in the form of advertising, domain hosting would fetch a piece of revenue and is otherwise looked as easy money . So, blogging is financially rewarding.
- Rewarding Hobby : Blogging helps people develop a knack of expressing things.Blogs reward people with recognition and thereby improves the blogger’s writing skills .With time, blogs tend to be humorous and satirical entertaining the readers .
Like the two sides of a coin, there are some cons associated with blogging which are aptly termed Scum of Blogging.
- Defamation : Blogging gives a freedom of expression. As a result , a disturbed blogger could go to the extent of defaming any institution or a person. And blogs could be the cause of animosity between two people and they could even spark off a revolt . A saying goes “ A wise person is one who speaks right, listens right and more importantly acts right” . Likewise, a good blogger is one who blogs right .
- Usage of Un-parliamentary language : A good percent of Gen-X feel that usage of abusive language is the in-thing .And films which are R-rated tend to be most successful, courtesy : Un-parliamentary language.Bloggers expressing things of concern in their anguish, tends to be harsh in their language which is not ethical by any means.
- Posting pirated content : Piracy is looked down at all levels as it is the unethical and indiscriminate usage of intellectual property. It may result in the dangerous situation of not being able to get good content at all in the future.So, posting pirated content in the blogs to attract more hits for revenue is a strict No.
- Miscellaneous reasons: Monotony and addiction to blogs are the other side effects of blogging . Readers read blogs to get entertained or to get a piece of information that’s beneficial to them. Unfortunately, Bloggers like me write some big essays in the most bland language as a result of which readers tend to experience a bit, infact lot of monotony in reading the blogs. And on the other hand,as good a blog can be, people tend to get addicted to it and expect a post every other day giving the reader a lot of despair for expecting too much from the blogger.
This is my perception about the Cream and Scum of Blogs. It would not be right if I don’t thank Blog-a-Ton for coming up with an idea reminding bloggers to feed blogs once in a while.I would appreciate their generosity if they accept my blog as an eligible entry ,even after having got to read the dumbest of the blogs (mine) . Even if they don’t, I thank them for coming up with this idea,for this blog being my only avocation in the recent past. Please pardon the monotonous tone of the post,but do point out the grammatical mistakes as that would help me become a better blogger.
I have already yelled a number of times that I am very good at doing nothing. I thought that this can be put in a better way. I am doing something which can be termed nothing. ( I think you just got your wits out after reading this) This is what people call optimism. Whatever the heights of optimism are , I have decided to pen my daily routine.
I normally get up at 8 AM , but circumstances force me to get up as early as 5AM or as late as 11AM.Nevertheless, I make it a point to have a good bath and get ready ( for what?) and have my breakfast ,a brunch rather.As soon as I have my breakfast, I get down to doing what I am best at “ Something called as Nothing”. This includes watching TV, surfing the net, peeking into others profiles on social networking sites etc; This continues till lunch time and after lunch, I try to keep myself busy or else, I doze off. By evening, I get ready for a small snack,which usually ends up being heavy. After that , I have a bath and get ready ( ready for what?) and sit in front of the computer looking for any people ready for chat on messenger and spend the time in surfing Orkut communities. After a few minutes, my Mom asks me to come over for dinner and there all of us sit and discuss various things . It is during this time that my Dad tells me about various vacancies in Govt. Sector and insists that I prepare well to crack those examinations. I give him a small smile, understandably which shows my disinterest in them. One of my friend who is presently in US comes online once in a while and asks me to get myself involved in some avocation. He is the same guy, who told me an year and half back that Time is the only asset we have in our hands . He asked me to get into the business of reading books, I’ve started Kane and Abel By Jeffrey Archer . But my inconsistency , lethargy and my neutrality towards literary pursuits made me take break in what could be called as an interesting read.
But one thing I have been able to do consistently is watch “ Highway on my Plate “ hosted by Rocky and Mayur on NDTV Goodtimes at 8PM and 9AM weekdays. I don’t want to say what these guys do on the show, but they do what foodies and wanderlusts dream of.
And another thing worthy to mention is that I have been getting inclined towards culinary stuff, helping my Mom in the kitchen and I have also tried out a few recipes. Ill try to post the recipes of any new food stuff I try out. I suggest you people experience the weirdness of Rocky and Mayur.
Got the spelling right after a long time.How big a fan or How small a fan I am of Michael Jackson, I don’t get the spelling right most of the time . Got to hear the bad news of the demise of the great entertainer and I felt disturbed as most of you are. The first instance I remember hearing the name Michael Jackson was in a song in a Telugu movie by name One by Two . The song goes like
“ Naa pere John Travolta, aadistha ulta pulta
Mera Naam Michael Jackson, nene in top Action”
English music was never my cup of tea and all sounded very similar . When I was in my 8th standard in the year 1999, one day my dad bought an audio tape of MJ’s Dangerous and I just fell in love with that. It cost around Rs. 125 at that time which was quite an expensive proposition. Unlike other things it was the music that was conspicuous in MJ’s albums .When I happened to get my hands on a cd which had most of the videos of MJ , I just loved it and I got a copy replicated for me. When I brood over that again, as far as music is concerned I still live in the 80’s . I jus love the music of MJ, BoneyM, Osibisa etc; Much was anticipated with the last album of MJ’s Invincible, which sank without a trace. But he is more remembered for his larger than life acts which put him in news for all the wrong reasons like cosmetic surgeries , child abuse etc; ( most of which didn’t have an evidence) .People went to the extent of calling him a pedophile. There was a limit on how many surgeries a person could undergo and I feel MJ has surpassed it putting his life in danger. In a way , he dig his own grave by trying to look fairer . Anywayz, at the end of the day we are all happy that he is remembered for his music .One more conspicuous thing in MJ was his out of the way shoe where the color of the socks contrasted the shoe, which became a revelation in the 80’s. I really cant single out a MJ’s rendition, but Black or White and JAM stand out. In the end, Why do people like MJ? In my view, it is his music that makes person feel like a rockstar. People experience hysteria or Nirvana when he is performing and that’s not uncommon as he is genius.
MICHAEL JACKSON REST IN PEACE AND MAY GOD GIVE YOU A PLACE OF PRIDE IN HEAVEN.